So, you’ve got your heating oil sorted and you’ve checked your tank for any problems - all’s good. How are you monitoring your oil level though and do you know when you’re getting low? There are customers out there that still use an old stick to dunk in their oil tank; is that you? Some may have a monitor but it’s old and broken. Is it really worth the stress and the risk when it’s so easy to track your oil levels nowadays? To help you decide which option is best for you, we discuss home heating oil tank gauges for sale in our latest blog…
Mechanical Home Heating Oil Gauge
The original way to monitor your heating oil levels; the mechanical home heating oil gauge. This consists of a small container that floats on top of the oil inside your tank. A cord is attached from the float to a gauge that screws on to the top of your tank, which shows you the amount of oil you have left.
- It’s cheap and quick
- It’s tried and tested
- There’s a chance the cord or gauge could get damaged over time
- You have to physically walk to your tank to read the level on the gauge
Sonar Home Heating Oil Gauge
Just like a bat, this new version of the heating oil gauge features sonic waves. A sonar home heating oil gauge sends out signals that ping off a surface to work out how far away something is; the monitor works out how much oil you have left and then talks to a device, which then links up to a ‘contraption’ in your home.
- You get an instant answer
- Don’t have to go outside
- More expensive
- Signal may not be good if it’s too far away from your house
Home Heating Oil App
Following on from the sonar devices, did you know you can now get an app so you can monitor your heating oil level whether you’re at work, at the supermarket or even on holiday?
The Watchman Anywhere is a remote oil level monitoring device that allows you to keep track of your heating oil levels using any mobile or web-enabled device; via your iPhone or Android App, email or text. Watch their handy video to find out the best place to attach the monitoring device for best results.
- Quite simple to set up
- You can get weekly updates emailed to you
- Peace of mind - perfect if you have a busy/hectic life and/or work away
- Good if you rent your home - it’ll prevent any stressful and expensive call-outs from tenants!
- Quite expensive
- May be a bit overwhelming if you’re not used to technology and using apps
- Only suitable to tanks installed above the ground as there needs to be a GSM or GPRS signal in the area for the built-in sim card to transmit a signal
Getting Home Heating Oil Tank Gauge
We definitely recommend getting a gauge for your home heating oil tank; which one you choose is up to you and your needs/requirements. Remove the stress and monitor your home heating oil level so that never run out of oil again. Why not get a free, instant home heating oil quote whilst you think about it too!
*Please note - we have not tested, therefore do not endorse any of the products mentioned in this blog.